3 Unrealistic Expectations
You Need to Let Go Of
You’re trying to live your best life, but you feel like you keep sliding backwards. You often find yourself feeling disappointed, frustrated, and ready to live a life of mediocrity, like so many others do. All because you haven’t let go of your unrealistic expectations.
How do I know all of this? Because I experience all of these feelings too, and, right now, I’m feeling them a bit more often than usual. Even though I’ve made it my mission to examine my expectations — hence the name of this organization — I still find it difficult to release some of my unrealistic expectations. And I consciously work on it every single day.
So give yourself a break, and take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. We all have unrealistic expectations of ourselves. Some are more persistent than others, and some tend to pop up when we least expect them.
But, maybe, if we give them a name and bring them into the light, we can let go of these unrealistic expectations — if only for today. It’s worth a try . . .
I’m giving a name to 3 unrealistic expectations that people, myself included, often place on themselves.
- You have to find your “forever” thing. So many of us are searching for our forever home, our forever job/career, our forever romantic partner, or our forever (fill in the blank here). But here’s the thing — it doesn’t exist. Nothing is forever, right? But beyond that, why would you want it to be? Life is all about discovering who you truly are, and the closer you get to figuring that out, the more you’ll realize that a lot of your “forever” things don’t suit you any more. And that’s okay.
- You have to do it “right” the first time. And, you need to have a perfect plan before you get started on something new. Sorry, but this is never going to happen. There are just way too many unknown variables in any situation, let alone when you are doing something for the first time. While it’s prudent to develop a makeshift plan, expect your plan to be faulty, and expect to make many changes to it as you learn and grow. And, above all, give yourself space to be a beginner.
Keep scrolling for the 3rd, and maybe most powerful, unrealistic expectation you need to let go of.
The Most Powerful
Unrealistic Expectation (Maybe?)
3. You have to do “it” the same way as everyone else. Whatever “it” is. Sure, it’s great to learn from other people and gain insight into how they accomplished whatever it is they accomplished. However, you’ll never be able to do it the same way they did. And, I think you know that, so I’m not even going to attempt to name the millions of reasons why you won’t. Your power lies in doing “it” your own way — in a way that no one else could possibly do it. It’s one of the most difficult things you will ever do, but if you can trust your gut and remain authentic to yourself, you’ll be amazed at what you can create.
If you can let go of these 3 unrealistic expectations — if only for today — you’ll definitely be living your best life!
Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or would like me to point you in the direction of more tools you can use on your personal development journey. Here’s my email: email@example.com.
Click here for more posts with a “trust yourself” theme.
If you found value in this post, please consider supporting us for as little as $1 by “buying me a coffee” on Ko-Fi:
Your support will help us remain ad-free and help us support mental health awareness. Click here to learn more about our mission and how you can Stop Settling & Start Living!
And until next time . . . have an EXPECTATION-LESS day!
Take a screenshot to easily access the 3 unrealistic expectations you need to let go of.
- You have to find your “forever” thing — it doesn’t exist.
- You have to do it “right” the first time — that’s never going to happen.
- You have to do “it” the same way as everyone else — your power lies in doing doing “it” your own way.
HOW THE EXPECTATION GAPS WORKS
You have a knot in your stomach telling you that something is missing from your life, but you don’t know what it is. On the surface, you have everything you could ever want. Yet . . .
You’re frustrated…overwhelmed…”crazy busy”…burned out…unfulfilled…
I'VE BEEN THERE!
That’s why I’ve been focused on living with intention and becoming a Deliberate Thinker for ~ 10 years.
I want to help you with your journey by sharing mine.
Sources & Inspiration