Get to Know Yourself in
Just 5 Minutes a Day
You are the most important person in your life! So don’t you deserve to treat yourself that way? Don’t you deserve to set aside time to get to know yourself? And wouldn’t getting to know yourself help you push through some of the struggles you are facing?
Of course the answer to all of these questions is a resounding — Yes! But chances are that getting to know yourself is not a top priority in your life. Why? Because you give all your precious time to the people you think are most important to you.
Even now you might be thinking, “But I’m not the most important person in my life. My [child] [spouse] [parent] [friend] is.” And while I understand that train of thought completely, I want to challenge you to shift your mindset for a moment.
Do you think the people you named as the most important people in your life would say the same about you? That you are the most important person in their life. Probably, right? Or at least you’d be in the top 5. So . . .
If those people are really that important to you, shouldn’t you focus on what’s important to them? In other words, you! Shouldn’t you focus on getting to know yourself so that you can wholeheartedly show up for the important people in your life?
But, getting to know yourself sounds a bit intimidating, doesn’t it? Where do you even start? Well, the good news is, you can get a jump start by deciding to invest just 5 minutes a day over the next 20 days in getting to know yourself.
Keep scrolling to find 20 questions to build self-awareness.
You can also support our content by “buying me a coffee” on Ko-Fi:
20 Questions to Build
Here’s what you do. Every day for the next 20 days, set aside 5 minutes to ask yourself one of these questions. Maybe you want to journal your thoughts; maybe not. The important thing is to sit by yourself, with no distractions, and at an optimal time of day for you.
There’s no real order or progression to the questions, so feel free to jump around.
- What is your peak time of day?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of?
- What do you want people to remember about you?
- What are a few deal breakers for you in a relationship?
- What’s the most important lesson you would like to teach others?
- How much money do you really need?
- What type of work do you enjoy doing the most?
- If you could change 1 thing about your job, what would it be?
- Do you get energized by spending time alone or spending time with others?
- What are some of your needs?
- Which of your needs do you need to give more attention to?
- Do you consider yourself more liberal or conservative? Why?
- What is your love language (see link at the end of this post if you’re not sure what I’m referring to) and how does it affect your relationships?
- What qualities are most important to you in a romantic partner or friend?
- What is your attachment style (see link at the end of this post if you’re not sure what I’m referring to) and how does it affect your relationships?
- What makes you feel lonely?
- What makes you feel like you belong?
- How do you define success?
- How do you want to serve others?
- What are some ways that you are or can lead by example?
If you found value in this post, please consider supporting us by “buying me a coffee” on Ko-Fi:
Your support will help us remain ad-free and help us support mental health awareness. Click here to learn more about our mission.
If you’re ready to Stop Settling & Start Living! check out our home page to learn more about what The Expectation Gaps has to offer.
And until next time . . . have a SELF-REFLECTING day!
HOW THE EXPECTATION GAPS WORKS
You’re Fed Up With Mediocrity & Want to Make an Impact
You’re frustrated…overwhelmed…”crazy busy”…burned out…unfulfilled…
I'VE BEEN THERE!
I’ve been focused on becoming a Deliberate Thinker for ~10 years.
I want to help you with your journey by sharing mine.
Sources & Inspiration
Link to learn more about Love Languages: The 5 Love Languages
Other posts you might find helpful as you work through these questions: